Josiah Allen son of Robert Allen of Lunenburg, Co. VA., was born about 1732. He is listed as a tithable in 1750 and this would account for his age to be about 18 years of age.
Family records indicates he was married twice. The first wife died after the family moved to South Carolina. He then married (2) to Elizabeth DeLoach.
Josiah settled in what was or became Ninety-Six-District. He was Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War. Josiah was one of three men who was captured by the Tories and carried into the swamps and put to death.
The estate papers of Josiah Allen can be found in Probate Court Records in Abbeville, SC., and names James Allen as the oldest son. James was the next of kin and was appointed administrator of his fathers estate. This tells us that James is from the first marriage.
After the death of Josiah the widow married Aaron Etheridge. Aaron died in 1821 and left his will in Edgefield Co. SC. He names Elizabeth as his wife and widow of Josiah Allen. He also names three of the Allen children by her first marriage, namely; Nancy Mathis, Milbury Clark Allen, and Drury Allen. Elizabeth died prior to 1843
Children of Josiah Allen are:
1. James Allen born about 1753 in Lunenburg Co. VA. died in Montgomery Co. AL.
2. Josiah Allen Jr. Lunenburg Co. VA. married Jennet Etheridge.
3. Robert Allen born 1760 SC. died Montgomery Co. AL
4. Young Allen born about 1763 SC., lived and died in SC
5. Martha or Polly Allen
6. Milbury "Milly" Allen
7. Nancy Allen married Lewis Mathews and Bailey Crouch
8. Drury Allen born 1772 SC. Moved to Clarke Co. AL
James Allen was born about 1753 in Lunenburg Co. VA., and died in Montgomery Co. AL.
James was the oldest son born to Josiah Allen and his first wife. He was also named administrator in the estate of his father in South Carolina. James was a Revolutionary Soldier as were his father and served in Captain Wm Butler's Company of Volunteers.
James was married twice. He first married about 1796 and his wife died in childbirth (name unknown) He married (2) his first cousin, Rebecca Hudson
James and Rebecca removed to Alabama about 1819 with her father Isaac Hudson and other family members. James died seven years after he came to AL., and left his will dated 20 February, 1826 in Montgomery Co.
James had two brothers who came to Alabama, Drury who went to Clarke Co. AL., and Robert who was in Montgomery Co. about 1823
James names his children in his will and leaves the sons land. It appears all of the son were under age when James died, except Lemuel who was the oldest and one of the executors of the will.
1. Lemeul Allen my oldest son two quarter sections of land
2. James Jefferson Allen my son two quarter sections of land
3. Alsey (Hudson) Allen, my son two quarter sections of land
4. Madison Allen was not of age when his father died
5. Josiah Allen was not of age when his father died
6. Minerva Allen married David M. Browning
7. Matilda Allen married John Bryan
8. Elizabeth Dunlap Allen
9. Ann Murry Allen, was not of age when her father died
Robert Allen son of Josiah Allen and his first wife was born 1760 South Carolina and died 3 August, 1829 in Montgomery Co. AL. He was one of three sons who came to AL. Robert came to Montgomery Co. about 1824 and left his will in that County where it was probated.
Robert was a Revolutionary Soldier and saw action as a horseman under Joseph Pickens.
He married in South Carolina to Nancy Hamm in 1786. She is named in his will along with his children.
Will of Robert Allen, Montgomery Co. AL
In the Name of God Amen; I, Robert Allen of the State and County aforesaid, calling to mind the uncertainty of life and the certainty of death and judgment and being desirious (sic) to settle my worldly affairs do make and ordain this my last will and Testament in manner & form following:
First, my will and desire is that all my just debts be paid and my funeral Expenses defrayed by my Executor herein after mentioned.
Secondly, I will and bequeath that my beloved wife, Nancy Allen, live on my plantation until my youngest child Amanda Allen becomes of the age of eighteen years. After leaving reasonable portion of said plantation for my wife Nancy Allen to tend then the remaining part to be rented and the money arising from said rent to be applied to the support and education of my children viz.
Carolina Allen, Robert Allen and Amanda Allen then when my youngest child Amanda Allen becomes of the age of eighteen years then my land to be sold and equally divided among my children viz: Elizabeth Dean, Lucy Thornton, Wade Allen, the heirs of Mary Haygood, James Allen, Susannah McGehee & Sarah Shaver. I do further will unto my said wife Nancy Allen one certain bay mare four years old to have, her and her increase during her life, then after the death of my said wife Nancy Allen, to be equally divided among my children, viz. Carolina Allen, Robert Allen, and Amanda Allen.
Third, I do will and bequeath that my Negroes and all my stock be sold and the money arising from said sale to be equally divided among my children, viz, Elizabeth Dean, Lucy Thornton, Susanah McGehee, Wade Allen, the heirs of Mary Haygood, James Allen, Sarah Shaver, Carolina Allen, Robert Allen, and Amanda Allen by making the following the reductions from Elizabeth Dean, one hundred and sixteen dollars, from Lucy Thornton, the sum of fifty six dollars, from Susanah McGehee, one hundred and sixteen Dollars, from Wade Allen, thirty dollars, from the heirs of Mary Haygood the sum of fifty six dollars, from James Allen the sum of thirty dollars, from Sarah Shaver the sum of ten dollars, these sums being reduced from each one have so that each one may have an equal share.
Fourthly, I do further will and bequeath that after my wife Nancy Allen receiving her share of said estate that she be allowed one year’s support.
Fifthly, I do will and bequeath unto my son George Allen the sum of five dollars.
Sixth and lastly, I nominate and appoint my trusty friend Norman Urquhart Executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and annulling all others by me made. Dated 3 August 1829.
Witnesss; Abraham Johnston,John X Allen, Washington Johnston
1. Elizabeth Allen born SC., married a George Dean
2. Lucy Allen born SC., married a Thornton
3. Wade Hampton Allen born 16 April, 1794 SC., died in Montgomery Co. AL.
4. Susanna Allen born SC., married John McGehee
5. James Allen born SC.
6. Mary Allen born SC., married Robert Haygood
7. Sarah Allen born SC., married Benjamin Shaver
8. Caroline Allen born 1816 SC., married Norman Urquhart
9. Robert Allen Jr. born SC., married Narissus Allen, daughter of William Allen and Mary Hicks and sister to Elizabeth who married second Drury Allen Jr. of Clarke Co.
Robert Jr. and Narissus lived in Clarke Co. AL., where her parents lived with sister Elizabeth and her second husband, Drury Allen Jr.
Their children are:
1. Julia Allen born about 1843 Clarke Co. AL
2. Emily Allen born about 1844 Clarke Co. AL. married Sidney D Porter
3. James C Allen born 1846 Clarke Co. married Martha Ann Odom
4. Martha Allen born 1846 twin to James married John Allen Odom
5. William G Allen born Clarke Co. AL.
To Go Back To Home Page