Matthew J. Vaughan was born in 1808 in South Carolina. He probably went
to Bullock Co. GA., and here he met his wife to be, Selelia Ann Denmark.
The Denmark family was in Bullock Co. and made their way westward into
the Mississippi Territory.
Matthew was believed to have been living in Alabama when James Denmark
moved his family to Washington Co. AL.. Matthew married Selelia Denmark,
who was born 16 November, 1813, and the daughter of James Denmark Sr.,
and wife Susannah Wise.
Matthew moved his family to Jackson Co. Mississippi in 1845 and settled
in an area now that is called Three Rivers, Mississippi. He was listed
on the 1850 Census of Jackson Co., with his wife and five children.
Also, living in the household was a Henry Vaughan who was born 1811
in South Carolina and listed as a School Teacher. He is believed to
be a brother to Matthew.
Matthew and Selelia both are buried in Old Ferrill Cemetery in
Escatawpa, MS. Matthew's gravesite has no marker, but is buried next
to his wife. Selelia died the 19th of August, 1899. They had at
least five children, mabry more, but only five are known.
1. Andrew J. Vaughan, born 20 March, 1838 AL.
2. Matthew J. Vaughan, born 1840 AL.
3. Mary S. Vaughan, born 1842 AL.
4. Lavinia Vaughan, born 1846 MS
5. Elizabeth Vaughan, born 1849 MS
Andrew Jackson was born in Alabama 20 March, 1838 and died in Jackson
Co. Mississippi, 31 January, 1912. He married 1 March, 1875 in Jackson
Co. to Mary Ann Goff born 10 November, 1857 Americus, MS. She was named
for her grandmother, Mary Baker Tanner and mother Martha Ann. The couple
was married by her Uncle John Mathis Goff:
Andrew served in the Civil War. He Mustered 2 October 1861 on the
East side of the Pascagoula River with Twiggs Rifles, Co. L. for 1
year and again in 1862 for 3 yrs.
Mary Ann was the second wife of Andrew Vaughan. According to Marvin
Vaughn a grandson, both died at the old homesite in Three Rivers.
Andrew was a widower with 2 children when he married Mary Ann. His
1st wife was Edna Burleson. In 1881 Eugene was accidental killed at
the age of 12 when a tree fell on him. While the family was at the
cemetery, the entire house and its belongings were destroyed by fire.
Andrew and Mary Ann had eight children.
Children from the first marriage
Edna Vaughan, married Wiley Coleman
Eugene Vaughan died when 12 years old.
Children by the second marriage to Mary Ann.
1. Mary Louise Vaughn 1877-1960, married William Joseph Faggard, born 26 July, 1870 Jackson Co. died 1931 New Orleans, LA. Son of William E. Faggard ( 1837-1884) and wife, Susannah Graham (1844-1926).
2. Wesley Andrew Vaughn 1880-1957 married Winnie Davis a descendant of Stafford Davis of GA.
3. Emma Irene Vaughn 1883-1919.
4. Marvin Chester Vaughn 1886-1965, married Sally Taylor, daughter
of Henry and Bessie Carter Taylor.
5. Robert Lee Vaughn 1889-1985, married Sarah Taylor. Robert Lee
better known as Bro. Rob was a Baptist Minister.
6. Walter Denny Vaughn 1892-1967
7. Ernest Vaughn 1894- Lived in New Orleans, LA.
8. Anna Lee Vaughn 1898-1984, married Joseph Burton Goff, son of William Wesley Goff.
To Go Back To Home Page