John Travis Sr. was born about 1713 in Ireland (Cork Co?) He is the son of Dr. Edward Travis who was a physician in Bath Co. NC. and wife Mary Mills, proven daughter by will of John Mills of Prince George Co. MD.
The will of Dr. Edward Travis was proven in the December Court in 1740, and names son John Travis.
John Sr. married Nancy Copeland, born 1717 MD., and the daughter of John and Mary Barrett Copeland. John and Nancy had at least ten (10) children, they are listed in no particular order.
1. Robert Travis born 1735 MD-1808 Chester Dist. SC. He married Phoebe LeStrange, who died Richmond Co. SC. in 1813.
2. Martha Travis, born 1736 Md. died 1827 Wilkes Co. GA. Married Jacob McClendon
3. Thomas Travis, born 1737 Md, died Fentress Co. TN., in 5 June, 1837. He was 100 years of age when he died. (pension record)
4. Francis Travis, born 1739 Md. died 1776 Craven Co. NC.
5. Daniel Travis, born 1741 Md. died in Livingston Co. Ky. He married Sarah Gerald.
6. Edward Travis, born 1743, died 1782 Anson Co. NC. He married Mary? The widow with her two sons, William and Joseph moved to Iredell Co. NC. William in 1807 moved to Stewart Co. TN., and Joseph moved to Rowan Co. NC.
7. John Travis, born 1745 and died 1808 Edgefield District, SC. It is thought he married Elizabeth deLoach.
8. Charles Travis, born 1747 lived in Anson and Montgomery Co. NC, 1770-1800, then moved to Allen Co. KY.
9. Barrett Travis, born 1750, died in Edgefield District SC. before 6 July, 1815 when estate was settled. Married Ann Smallwood
10. Theophilus Travis, born c. 1751, probably died Laurens District SC. before 1790
To Go Back To Home Page