If Gideon went to Perry Co. with his Uncle, he finally settled in the Mississippi Territory on the West Bank of the Pearl River in what is now Bogalusa, LA. The place was called Poole's Bluff. Gideon may have been in business with his sister and brother-in-law, Elizabeth and William Poole. They operated a mill there for 25 to 30 years. Bicentennial edition of the Bogalusa News so stated. It states they made wagon wheels, furniture, were blacksmiths, and had a big industrial working there before the Great Southern Paper Co. came to Bogalusa.
Gideon Rester was listed in the 1815 tax list and on the 1820 census of Washington Parish, LA. He also fought in the War of 1812
Children of Gideon and Sarah Mason Rester are:
A. Mary Ann Rester, born 1809 GA.
B. William Washington Rester, born 1814 in Washington Parish, LA. C. Liberty Rester, born about 1817 LA.
D. Jane (Jincy) Rester
William W. Rester was born and died in Washington Parish, LA. He died in 1862. William married first Elizabeth Ard, born 1824 in Washington Parish. She died in 1900 in Hopewell, MS. William and Elizabeth had three known children. William married the second (2) time to Sarah Ann Hardin, born in MS. William had seven children by the second marriage. It appears that William and Elizabeth moved to Mississippi got a divorce and he married again. Two of the three children from the first marriage remained in MS.
1. Liberty Rester, without doubt named for his father's brother
Liberty. He Was born January, 1856 in LA. He married in 1898
to Mary Merritt.
2. Thomas Rester, born 1858 LA., married 17 Feb. 1899 in Columbia, MS., to Ida Merritt, born 1880 and the daughter of Samuel Merritt and wife Laura Jane Ward Merritt. Thomas is buried in Marion Co. MS. in Hopewell cemetery. Two known children.
A. Lark Rester, born 8 March, 1901 MS. married Ruby L. Coker.
B. Dixie Rester, born 22 December, 1902 Marion Co. MS. married Houston Miller.
3. Simon Peter Rester, born 1860 LA., married in Marion Co. MS. to Jeanette Breland, born 1876 and the daughter of Huey M. and Nancy Jane Merritt. Simon died 10 May, 1930 Marion Co. MS. Jeanette had two years later in Bogalusa, LA.
4. Francis Rester, born 1872 either LA., or Ms.
5. Asemith Rester, born 1874
6. Mary Rester, born 1876
7. John Rester, born 1878
8. William Rester, born 1880
9. James G. Rester, born ???
10 Sarah A. Rester, born 1882
Rester family researcher:
To Go Back To Home Page