Family tradition says four brothers came from Ireland to America at an early period. There were probably more children, but only one son has been researched, the Rev. Samuel M. Henderson Jr.
1. Rev. Samuel M. Henderson, Jr. was born ca 1784, Rockingham, N.C. and died 1842, Perry Co., AR. He married 1809 Sarah J. Bush, a widow who was born 25 Feb 1785 in Tennessee, and died 16 Sept. 1859 in Saline Co. AR.. (See 1850 census of Saline Co, AR.) Samuel came to Saline Co. about 1834. He was a Missionary Baptist Preacher in Saline Co. , and built the first church of this denomination at Spring Creek, Benton, AR. He also built the first Missionary Baptist Church in Perry Co, AR. He had at least ten children.
1. Minerva J, married M.M. Lyon
2. Samuel T. Henderson born 1814 Maury Co. TN.
3. Abner Henderson. No information.
4. Eliza Henderson married Sam Williams.
5. Jethro P. Henderson born 1815 in TN.
6. Alford/Alfred C. Henderson born 1827 TN.
7. Robert H. Henderson born 1821 in AL.
8. Martha Ellen Henderson born 1823
9. M.J. Henderson, no information.
10. John C. Henderson born 1825 Lauderdale Co. AL.
Samuel T. came to AR. about 1834 and married three years later on 9 July 1837. Samuel T. Henderson was a Pvt. in Capt. Robert Brazil's Co. B. 1st Regt. Mounted Gunmen of Arkansas Volunteers. This company rendezvoued at Little Rock, AR. on August 12, 1836. Samuel was listed: "of Conway Co., AR." He was in the same company as Jethro P. Henderson, his brother. He was in Garland Co. AR. by 1863, then moved to Texas until after the Civil War.
Eight Known children:
A. Perciful Henderson born 1838, AR. Pvt. Co. C, 3rd AR. Cavalry. Appointed Sgt. Aug. 1863, captured at Rome, GA. on Oct. 13, 1864 and sent to Camp Douglas Prison. Became ill and was discharged 17 June 1865.
B. Samuel M., born 1842, AR., md. Malinda ---, born 1842 in Miss. (See Yell Co, Ark census) Was owner of Benton Jug Factory. Went to Texas 1863 and came back to Benton after the war, during which they lost everything. Served in the Seminole Indian Wars.
C. Jesse B., born 1845, AR.
D. James C. born 1847, AR.
E. John C., born 1852, AR.
F. Sara E., born 1852, AR.
G. Ann Eliza, born 1854, AR.
H. Marsarin J., born 1857, AR.
A. Velma Joy Kelley, born 3 Aug 1892 Rotan, Texas, died 17 Feb. 1968 Kemerrer, Wy, buried Farmington, N.M.
10. John C. Henderson born 1825 Lauderdale Co, AL. married Elizabeth J. Chenault. He was with the 3rd AR. Cavalry at Westport, MO. He was injured when hit by a mini ball in the leg. He was with Gen. Price and was promoted to Major. His will was filed in Saline
Co. AR. dated 23 Mar 1893 and was proven 27 Aug. 1894. Children in will:
1. John H. Henderson married Mira ?
2. Calvin B. Henderson, no information other than he was executor of will of his Uncle Alford in 1855.
3. Marzavine Jerome Henderson, served in 3rd AR. Calvary. Was Captain and promoted to Lt.Col. on 17 Mar 1863.
4. Mary Laura Henderson married a Mr. McMillival
5. Jethro P. Henderson born 7 Jan 1848, Benton, AR. He married about 1873, Mary E. Ruffin born in MS. and died about 1906 probably AR. (See Yell Co. AR. 1870 census) After her death, Jethro married Sallie Humphrey. Two children, thought to be from the first marriage.
1. Byrd Henderson married Dr. J. H. Paget.
2. Jai R. Henderson>
To Go Back To Home Page