The progenitor of the Dickens family of Halifax county, NC. was one William Dickens. William was born 1689 in England and died 1765 probably England.
He married about 1733 to Temperance Bennett. Only two of his children are known.
1. Joseph Dickens, born 1740 England.
2. William Dickens, born 1742 died 1827. He married (1) to Mary Kinchen and (2) Susanna Dawson.
Joseph Dickens, son of William Dickens was born in England according to some family records. He emigrated to America about 1755; and settled first in Northampton Co. NC. about 1758. Before Sept. 9, 1769 he moved to Halifax Co. NC. where he witnessed a deed of Lyman Lunsford and wife Mary, to William Dickens. On March 2, 1771, Joseph Dickens and his wife Hannah Lunsford, sold half of this land to William Dickens.
On October 11, 1802, Joseph Dickens made his will and the same was probated in the November Court of Halifax Co. NC. for that year. In it is mentioned all his children and his wife, Hannah Dickens.
From the ages of his children, it is believed that Joseph Dickens was twice married. The names of his first wife whom he married about 1756 is not known but his second wife was named Hannah ? whom he married between 1763 and 1766. She survived him.
William married (1) before 1794 to Lucy Brown, daughter of William Brown of Brunswick Co. VA. who died in 1797 in Halifax Co. He married (2) Elizabeth (Smith) Dickens who was born in 1781. After the death of William she with members of her family moved to Maury Co. TN., in 1848 and is shown residing there in 1850 census. In 1856, she was residing in Hickman Co. TN..
Children of William and Lucy Brown Dickens:
A. Martha Dickens, born c. 1784-1815, married Elias Brown.
B. Pink(ton) Dickens, born 1786, married 3 January, 1829 to Susan Dickens.
C. Evaline Dickens, married Gildroy Tucker.
D. Elias Dickens, born about 1793, married 15 December, 1821 Polly Dickens.
E. Ann Dickens, married Elisha Dickens, and received her dower right from Elisha Dickens estate in 1854.
F. Frankey Dickens, married a Mr. Dickens.
G. Chappell Dickens, born 1802 married 25 Dec. 1829 Mary Brown.
3. John Dickens, married 1786, Elizabeth Stevens and moved to Chatham Co. NC.
4. Bennett Dickens, married Hannah Footman Lovell in 1789.
5. JESSE Dickens, married Nancy ? In 1813. He sold his land and moved. (where?)
6. Benjamin Dickens, left Halifax Co. (where?)
7. Temperance Dickens, born 1780, married Capt. Rhodam Barnes.
Bennett Dickens, fourth child of Joseph and Hannah was born in Halifax Co. NC., about 1769 and died there between 9 June, 1942 and the November Court of that year. In 1789, he married Hannah Footman Harrison Lovell, daughter of William Lovell and his wife Mary Harrison, who were both born in Westmoreland County, VA. Hannah was born in 1770 and was living in 1850.
1. Charles T. Dickens, born 1789-90, married Polly, daughter of Levy Browning and Margaret Purnell.
A. Daughter, unknown
B. Calvin Dickens born 1823, married Nancy ? (2) Amanda Herbert.
C. Frances Dickens married William H. Barnes her cousin, son of Rhodam and Temperance.
D. Holly Y. Dickens married 7 September, 1848 her cousin, Oscar Faulcon Dickens, son of Bennett.
E. Hardy Dickens, born 1830 died 1860.
2. Hester Dickens born 1792, married in 1817 Julius Hieronymous Zollicoffer (1786-1854) son of Ann Lindsay and Capt.George Zollicoffer.
3. Bennett E. Dickens born 4 February, 1794, married 18 December, 1818 to his cousin, Nancy Dickens, born 2 June, 1804, daughter of James and Martha Dickens.
4. Malachi Dickens married his cousin, Nancy Dickens.
5. Harriet Dickens, married her cousin, Guilford Dickens, son of Matthew Dickens and Elizabeth Dickens.
To Go Back To Home Page