Walter moved his family westward in 1809. He had a passport from the Governor of Georgia to travel through the Creek Nations of Indians, dated 18th of December, 1809. He traveled with his family and with three Tullos families, namely, John, William and Willoughby Tullos.
Walter settled his family on the Pascagoula River and has settlement by 22 January, 1810. He is listed on the 1814 and 1815 Tax Roll in Jackson Co. Walter serves several Sessions in the Lower House Of The Legislature for Jackson County.
In 1820 Walter was in a land Claim dispute. A Caveat against the patent to Walter Davis. This was taken from the American State Papers.
At least three brothers, Samuel, Walter and George sons of John Davis came to and were in Jackson Co. Mississippi. There may have been more family members who were there, but there are family and County records which provides these three sons were in the County.
Walter moved southeastward to the panhandle of Florida in 1824. He is still in Jackson Co. in January 1824, but in Jackson Co. FL. By 1825. He purchased seventy nine (79) acres of land in Jackson Co.
Children of Walter and Rebecca Davis:
1. John Timothy Davis born 14 March, 1801 Bryan Co. GA. and died 8 March, 1875 in Jackson Co. Florida.
2. Elizabeth Davis born about 1806 in Georgia. She married William T E DeVaughn.
3. Susannah Davis born about 1808 in Bryan Co. GA., married Elijah Padgett. She died about 1885 in Marianna, FL.
4. James Henry Davis born about 1812 in Jackson Co. Mississippi. He married Eliza in Jackson Co. FL.
5. Ellis Fairbanks Davis, born before 1813 in Jackson Co. MS. He died 10 October, 1885 in Marianna, FL. He married Ruthy Weathington. Named Ellis Fairbank for his father's friend of Jackson Co. MS.
6. Joseph Davis born 26 January, 1816 Jackson Co. MS. Died 22 December, 1887 Marianna, FL.
7. Samuel W. Davis born about 1818 Jackson Co. MS. died about 1874 in Calhoun Co. FL. He married Lucretia before 1847 in FL.
8. Elmira Davis born 13 March, 1820 either AL., or MS. She died 28 June 1877 in Houston, TX. She married Richard Westcott. Family records state that Elmira was born in AL.
9. George W. Davis born about 1822 in Jackson Co. FL. married Artemissy Emeline Wood. I believe his birth place is incorrect as his father Walter was still in Jackson Co. MS., at the time of his birth and should be Jackson Co. MS.
James Harvey Davis was born about 1812 in Jackson Co. MS. He married Eliza born about 1816 in AL. He were married about 1831
They had six (6) children.
1. John H. Davis born abouta 1833 FL
2. James H. Davis Jr. born about 1839 FL. married Safronia Williams 14 October, 1863 Houston, TX.
3. Thomas Jefferson Davis born about 1842 FL. and married Eveline Foster 31 March, 1863 in Houston, TX.
4. Josephine Davis born about 1848 Houston, TX., married James Moore 15 June, 1865 in Houston.
5. R. Davis born about 1853 Houston, TX.
6. E. Davis born about 1858 Houston, TX.
Can you add the dates to the family of James Henry Davis?
Samuel W H Davis was born in North Carolina, 12 May, 1769. He died in Jackson Co. Mississippi before 1850. The wife of Samuel was Sarah "Sally" Balshar born 5 August, 1776 in North Carolina. Sarah probably died in Jackson Co. She is living in 1860 in Jackson Co. with her daughter, Cynthia Bradford.
Children of Samuel and Sally Davis:
1. Simeon Davis born 18 October, 1796 GA. married 2 April 1820 Jackson Co. MS., to Nancy (surname not known) He was a Baptist Minister and resided in Jasper Co. MS. in 1850.
2. Nancy Ann Davis born October, 1799 GA., married 4 December, 1817 Jackson Co . MS. to William Starks. Nancy is listed as head of household # 419 in 1850 Census. In the household with her is Samuel Stark age 28 years, Stephen Stark age 25 years and Cynthia Herring age 8.
3. George Davis born 6 January, 1802 GA.
4. Samuel Davis born 25 July, 1804 Georgia married Alvira Ward 1838 in Jackson Co. MS.
5. Martha Davis born 1 October, 1806 Burke Co. GA. died 16 January, 1892 Fannin Co. TX. She married 30 May, 1827 Ocean Springs, MS. to James Fitch Bradford.
6. Mary Davis born 17 November, 1810 GA. married a Mr. Herring.
7. Cynthia Davis, born 6 January, 1813 Jackson Co. MS. married 27 August, 1836 Jackson Co. MS. to Lyman Sherwood Bradford born about 1802 in CT.
8. Sara Davis born 6 January, 186 Jackson Co. MS.
9. Elizabeth Davis born 13 January, 1818 Jackson Co. MS.
10 Abram Balsher James Walter Davis, born 20 September, 1820 Jackson Co.
To Go Back To Home Page