Greenberry Carter, has not been proven as to which son or grandson of Isaac Carter he descends from. Greenberry was born about 1823 in Perry Co. The 1850 census of Perry Co. list him as 27 years of age and in the household with Daniel Carter.. He died after 1880 either in Perry or Greene Co. MS.
Greenberry married 3 October, 1851 to Emeline Catherine Rebecca Nix, born 14 January, 1831 Abbeville, SC. She is the daughter of Thomas Littleberry Nix and wife Dearest Donald Nix.
Emeline was living in the household with her sister, Lucy who married Asa B. Carter in the 1850 Census of Perry.
Greenberry served in the Civil War in Co. G 27th MS Inf. He enlisted at Augusta, MS. 17 September, 1861. He was captured at Vicksburg and paroled on or before 1 April, 1862. He was present for all the roll call in 1862. Some records indicate that Green also served from the State of LA., and that Emeline received a widow's pension from that State.
In a newpaper article that Woody Carter has it states that Greenberry went to the reading of the will of Dearest Nix in Columbia, South Carolina. This would be Emeline's mother, Dearest Donald Nix..
a. Frances Eran Carter born 3 March,1853 MS.
b. Lucy Elizabeth Carter born 11 March, 1855 MS.
c. Darley Demaris Carter born 18 April, 1857 MS.
d Asa Roberson Carter born 31 December, 1859 MS.
e. Eli Daniel Carter born 12 June, 1863
f. Mary Jean Carter born 20 September, 1865
h. John Prentiss. Carter born 1 April, 1872
Asa married 20 December, 1888 to Mary Elizabeth Moorehead who was born 25 February, 1871 in Kileen, TX. and died 26 October, 1947 at the home of her daughter, Minerva Carter Mizell while visiting .
Shortly after Asa and Mary married he decided to move back to MS., the couple walked the railroad tracks back to Moss Point, MS.
Eight children, one born and died in 1893.
1. Henry Benjamin Carter born 6 June, 1891 and died 1937 in Bartow, FL., while in his Orange Grove from a rattlesnake bite
2. William Raymond Carter born 29 March, 1894 and died 28 September, 1954 in Village Mills, TX. He married Bertie Rae Wiggins of TX.
3. Aire Nathaniel Carter born 5 September, 1895 MS., died 31 December, 1974 Jackson Co. MS. He married Minnie Lee Ballard born 17 November, 1900 Jackson, AL., and died in April prior to the death of Aire in December. He is buried in Union Cemetery in Moss Point, and Minnie is buried in AL., at her request.
4. Flora Idell Carter born 29 October, 1898, died 1911. She was a twin to Florence
5. Florence Elizabeth Carter born 29 October, 1898 died 31 July, 1951 Jackson Co. She married 21 March, 1913, Columbus Furby. Both are buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Helena, MS.
They had one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Furby who married Claude Vice, son of Ollie and Fannie Williams Vice.
6. Minerva Eveline Carter born 6 May, 1900 Jackson Co. Ms., and died 21 September, 1968. She married Johnny Wallace Mizell, born 25 November, 1893 Escatawpa, MS., and died 1960. They lived in Springhill, LA. Both are buried in Springhill.
7. Frances Lucille Carter born 23 October, 1902 Moss Point, MS. died 3 September, 1980 in St. Helens, OR. She married Albert C. Hennessy, born in TX. They moved in OR. in 1934.
Eli Daniel Greenberry Carter born 12 June, 1863 MS., died 31 August, 1932 in Jackson Co. MS. He is buried in Union Cemetery in that County. He married Alice McFarland . Six children.
1. Ezra Carter born 31 May, 1891. He married Mary DeAngelo.
2. Nettie Eugene Carter born 24 January, 1892 married Howard Leaona Miller, son of Roland Miller
3. Clara Carter born 1894 married Tony A. DeAngelo
4. Callie Carter born 1897 died from Scarlet Fever.
5. Raleigh Carter born 1898 married Era Brumfield, and Cammie Baker. No children
6. Bruner Carter born 3 July, 1900 died in 1938 from Pneumonia.
To Go Back To Home Page