William Allen born 1671 York Co. Virginia; died 15 June, 1713 York, Hampton Parish.
William the son of William Sr and wife Judith (unknown) of York Co. and the grandson of John Allen and Janet Rodgers of Glasgow, Scotland.
It appears that William Sr was the first of this family to come to Virginia. John the grandfather is thought to have stayed in Scotland.
This line of Allens has been confused with the other William Allen of Virginia. William Sr died 1677 when his son was only six years old. His mother, Judith married (2) to William Bayley.
When William Allen reached adulthood he filed suit against his mother for land that had belonged to his father, William Sr. and was awarded two thirds of the land, the other third going to the Judith Bayley.
William married Ann (unknown) about 1690 in VA. He was a planter in York Co. William left his will in York Co., and stated he was in good health and sound mind. He died 15 June 1713 at the age of forty two, why so young if in good health?
His will was proven in September of 1713. He names two sons and four daughters and wife Ann in his will. However he does not give the daughters name.
Children of William Jr and Ann Allen are:
1. William born about 1692 York Co.
2. Hudson born about 1694 York Co.
3. Ann born before 1713 married a Mr. Chapman
4. Mary born before 1713 married a Mr. Brown
5. Elizabeth may or may not be a daughter
6. Agatha "Aggy" born before 1713 married Benjamin Watson
William was married twice. He first married Hannah (unknown) and had one son and three daughters. Hannah has been tagged as a Watson by researchers, because of the statement Benjamin Watson made in his will, "My brother-in-law, William Allen". Wm was a brother-in-law because he married William's sister, Aggy. Hannah died about 22 March, 1719 in St Peters Parish, VA. William married (2) to Mary Hunt Minge, widow of Robert Minge who had four children. Mary daughter of William Hunt and wife Tabitha Underwood Bowler. After the death of William Mary married (3) Field Jefferson.
1. Samuel Allen born 20 September, 1713
2. Judith Allen born 1715; and baptized 20 September, 1715 St Peters Parish, New Kent VA. She married ? Burton, grandson of Thomas and Susannah (ALLEN) Burton
3. Hannah Allen born 1717 VA. Hannah cited in the St Peters Parish Register as bearing a bastard child, John Martin Allen, 1 August, 1736. She married James Scruggs.
4. Joice Allen born 29 January, 1719 VA., married John Easley and Joel Chandler.
Children of William and Mary Hunt Minge Allen are:
6. Ann Allen born 19 January, 1721 m. John Spears
7. William Hunt Allen, born 7 May, 1724 Henrico Co. married Elizabeth. Left no heirs. There were two Wm Hunt Allen
8. John Allen born 27 March, 1726 Henrico Co. married Bethania Nevil
9. Mary born 13 March, 1727 Henrico Co. died 1732
10. Valentine, born 29 April, 1730; died 17 September, 1799 Rockingham Co. NC. He may have married Nancy Arnold
11. Susannah, born 8 February, 1732; married William Sublett
12. George Hunt, born 10 April, 1734 VA
13. Mary, born 7 February, 1738, named for her sister who died in 1732
14. Phillip, born 22 May, 1740; died 8 March, 1771 VA.
Samuel Allen was the only son born to William and Hannah Allen. He was born 20 September, 1713 and his will was proven in Cumberland Co. 1774.
Samuel married Martha Archer, daughter of John and Martha Field Archer. They lived in Cumberland Co. Samuel also received a land patent in Goochland Co. for 400 acres, and 675 acres in Lunenberg Co.
The son Archer was executor of his fathers will and inherited a large portion of the estate. Searching for the family Bible belonging to Archer Allen to compare dates
Children of Samuel and Martha are:
1. Mary Allen, born 31 August, 1738 married Robert Easley
2. Elizabeth Allen, born 17 December, 1739 married Peter Field Jefferson
3. Archer Allen, born 6 April, 1741 married Elizabeth Allen
4. Judith Allen, born 22 September, 1743 married Richard Murray
5. William Archer Allen, born 30 April, 1745 married Betsy Johnson
6. Patty Allen, born 25 August, 1746 married William Daniel
7. Obedience Allen, born 1 March, 1747 married William Towndes
8. Samuel Allen, born 8 November, 1750
9. Frances Allen, born 25 February, 1752 married John Muse
10 Robert, born 26 October, 1754
11 Ann Allen, born 24 December, 1760
Family records state that Samuel and other family members first moved to Davidson Co. TN., about 1800, thence to Madison Co. Alabama. Samuel married first in Buckingham Co. VA., to Mary Mimms, daughter of Drury, and (2) in Madison co. to Rachel Nunnely.
All the children are from the first marriage:
1. William M. married Lucy Graves, moves to AL.,after 1810
2. Nancy married Willard B. Allen in VA
3. Drury, married Sally Wright and Martha Cabaniss
4. Sutton Farrar, married Elizabeth Allen. Lived in Huntsville, AL
5. Samuel A. Allen, married Nancy Arnold; lived in Madison Co. AL
6. Martha married Richard Cottrell, moved to Madison Co. AL
7. Sarah or Sally married Henry Graves
8. Elizabeth married AL., to Thomas Slaughter
9. John born 20 March, 1809 VA., married in AL. to Caroline Clay. John was a Captain in the war of 1812.
To Go Back To Home Page