Who was W. Allen born in GA., and lived in Marietta Cobb Co., GA.? His family Bible list an initial only as "W". I believe it is William because he named a son William an he is the only child that the name begins with a W.
At this time he will be called William until it can be proven different. He married Betsy Ann Booker Jenkins. This may be Betsy's second marriage since it appears that Booker is her maiden name. All of the names were taken from the Family Bible.
Their children are:
1. Satterbury F. Allen, born 4 June 1817
2. Virgey Melton Allen, born 11 May 1821
3. William Albert Allen, born 2 January 1824
4. Gustavius Marion Allen, born 1 Janury 1826
5. Joseph C. Allen, born 9 November 1827; died 16 June 1857
6. James Alford Allen, born 29 January 1830
7. John Henry Allen, born 30 December 1834 GA.
8. David Louis Allen, born 30 December 1834 GA.; died 25 Oct 1835 (twin)
9. Julia Anne Elizabeth Allen, born 10 December 1839; died 19 January, 1868
10. Virgil Young Allen, born 7 April 1842
John Henry Allen was born 30 December, 1834 in Marietta, GA.
He married 24 October, 1865 in Tallapoosa Co. AL., to
Frances Jane Satterwhite, daughter of John Henry Satterwhite. Frances was born in Chambers Co., AL., 2 January 1847.
John Henry came from Marietta to Tallapoosa Co. AL., where he had relatives. He found work in the area and stayed until the outbreak of the Civil War, when he returned to GA., and joined a Unit there in 1861. Later that year he was discharged and came back to AL., where he joined the 34th AL., Infantry at Loachapoka. John applied for a Confederate Pension and listed his birth place as Marietta, GA.
The children of John Henry and Frances Jane are:
1. Joseph William Allen, born Tallapoosa Co., AL 29 July 1866. He married Nora Driver.
2. James Thomas Allen, born 22 January, 1870 Tallapoosa Co., married (1)Laura McSwain 26 December, 1893 Cullman Co., AL. and (2) Norma Scoggins in 1905 Chilton Co., AL. He died Montgomery Co., AL 30 March, 1936 and buried in Chestnut Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Cooper, Chilton Co., AL.
3. John Franklin Allen, born 7 March, 1872 Tallapoosa Co., married (1)Lillie Pearl Parker and (2)Agnes Reese. He died 11 March 1920, and is buried in Clanton, AL., City Cemetery.
4. Sarah Elizabeth Booker Allen, born 2 August, 1874 died in childhood.
5. Albert Hardy Allen, born 1 August, 1881, Talladega Co., AL., never married.
William A. Allen was born 2 January, 1824 in GA., and died 23 July, 1884.
He married Mary A. Quattlebaum
His death notice was given in the LaFayette Sun and states the following
Mr. Allen was born in 1825, and is buried in an unmarked grave in the Emory Chapel Methodist Cemetery, 5 miles east of LaFayette. On last Saturday morning Mr. William Allen, who lives 4 miles northeast of LaFayette, committed suicide by jumping head-first into a well. The act was deliberate as shown by the fact he drew off his shoes before taking the fatal leap. His head and face were cut by striking the rock with which the well was curbed. Mr. Allen had been laboring under the hallucination that his life was in danger for some time. His family regarded him as partially insane, but were not expecting him to attempt his own destruction.
Can you help with this family? Any information would be appreciated by the researchers of this family.
To Go Back To Home Page